Welcome to the CAC Elementary School Counseling Website! Your elementary school counselors are Kimi Cain and Denise Granai. We hope this site gives you a clearer understanding of our role as school counselors and helpful information about our counseling program.
Cairo American College Elementary School Counselors
CAC's Elementary School Counseling Office is staffed by one full time counselor and one full time counselor/ psychologist. The full time counselor is dedicated to serving our KG-Grade 3 students, parents, and teachers while the counselor/ psychologist serves as the school psychologist for the entire elementary school and the counselor for the students, parents, and teachers of Grades 4-5. However this division of grades is not exclusive and both counselors may work with all students in grades Pre-K-5 depending on the situation
What do School Counselors do?
School Counselors work in partnership with the school staff, parents, and the community to help students have a more positive and successful school experience. The primary focus of the school counseling and guidance program at the elementary level is prevention. School Counselors work with ALL students and our goal is to help empower students with self-knowledge, positive interpersonal skills, and coping strategies for the issues that elementary children typically face.
What is a School Counselor’s training?
Most school counselors have completed a rigorous training program and have at least a Master's degree in school counseling. During graduate school counselors receive a background in human growth and development, counseling practice and theory, career development, educational practice and theory, group work, and consultation. In addition, school counselors complete many hours of internship in school settings.
Who are School Counselors for?
The elementary school counselors at CAC are here for
At CAC, the elementary school counselors provide services in the following ways:
- Classroom guidance lessons
- Small group counseling
- Individual counseling
- Assistance in crisis situations
- Coordinates efforts with other school professionals in order to help students to be successful
- Act sas a consultant and referral source between school, parents, and community
- Helps in the process of admitting and orientating new families to the school
- Parent presentations and/or workshops
How does a student see the School Counselor?
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
There are many reasons for children to seek out their school counselor. The times that we live in can be stressful and difficult. Many personal and school related problems can have a direct impact on a child's ability to learn. School counselors provide a safe and confidential environment for all students to help facilitate their academic and social success.
What is a School Psychologist?
At CAC, the school psychologist serves in the following ways:
- Collaborates with the ES, MS and HS to support students, parents and teachers (including LSS and Counselors)
- Interprets educational assessments and evaluations of student learning needs
- Serves as a consultant and referral source between school, parents, and community
- Reviews and gathers information for admission of students with exceptional needs